Sunday, March 16, 2014

Orange Sabres And Blue Devils Battle It Out For Conference Title

You know what they say about the best-laid plans of mice and men.  Months ago I bought tickets to the 2014 ACC Tournament.  A devoted fan of the Duke Blue Devils, I wanted to be there to watch my team play.

I came down with pneumonia and my dream of seeing my boys play in person was shattered.

The Blue Devils took on Clemson Friday night and defeated them 63-62.  With that win they advanced to the semi-finals to face NC State on Saturday.

I went to work confident that the Wolfpack would be no threat to the Blue Devils, but just an hour into my shift I began to feel so bad that I had to leave.  I went to the Emergency Room.  The game was on the TV in the ER Waiting Room.  Eventually I was taken into an examination room and the ER doctor ordered blood work, urinalysis, EKG and chest x-rays.

While all this was going on, I was fortunate that the exam room had a TV mounted on the wall.  The ER nurse was kind enough to turn it on for me so I could watch the game.  I guess she felt sorry for me because I was so sick.  It was determined that I was suffering from dehydration and viral syndrome.  So the doctor ordered an IV drip and sent me on my way with a stern warning not to return to work for three days.  I think I'll follow his advice.

It was exciting watching Jabari Parker and T.J. Warren trading baskets in the kind of shootout expected from the Atlantic Coast Conference's top two scorers.

Parker scored 20 points and the Blue Devils beat Warren and North Carolina State 75-67 earning Duke its 31st championship game appearance and its first since 2011.

The ACC Tournament Championship starts at 1:00 PM ET with Duke going up against the Virginia Cavaliers a team that Duke whipped in January 69-65.

Duke is the favorite to claim the conference title.

At 6:00 PM the NCAA tournament brackets will be announced.  A victory against the Cavaliers could earn Duke a No. 1 seed along with Florida, Wichita State and Arizona.

UPDATE 3:20 PM:  Congratulations to the Cavaliers.  You played a classy game.  You deserve to be ACC Champions.  Best of luck on your march to the Final Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.