Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Shirley Temple Has Sailed To Heaven On The Good Ship Lollipop

Shirley Temple sang and danced her way into the hearts of America.  Her movies were beloved by all who saw them.  She was one of the most popular child stars in Hollywood history.  She was “America’s little darling”.

As a young girl, I watched her movies on Saturdays and Sundays when the local television channels would run them.  I’m not ashamed to say that when I have a legendary bad day I sometimes sit down to watch one of her movies to lift my spirits.

My mom was obsessed with giving me permanents because she wanted my hair to be curly like hers.

Unlike the child stars of today, Shirley Temple’s life was never scandal-ridden or drug-addled.  Her life was one of remarkable achievements including ambassadorships to Ghana and Czechoslovakia.

She made some 43 feature movies, including "The Little Colonel," "Poor Little Rich Girl," "Heidi" and "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm," in 10 years, starring with big-name actors like Randolph Scott, Lionel Barrymore and Jimmy Durante.

Though we have lost a most notable celebrity today it is reassuring to know that she peacefully passed away at her Woodside, California home from natural causes.  Shirley Temple was 85.

Rest in peace Curly Top.  You will be sorely missed.  Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.