Sunday, September 8, 2013

Never Realizing The Glory In Their Wings Part Two

Two weeks ago, I posted a story about an amazing visitor I had.  I recounted that a magnificent raptor, a red-shouldered hawk, made an appearance in my yard.

I was struck by its beauty.  I managed, just barely, to photograph the hawk and include the image with the post.

Today, I woke up around seven-ish and fixed myself a sausage, egg and cheese croissant and a hot cup of Tazo Passion Fruit tea, grabbed the newspaper and went outside to enjoy the 70° late summer morning on the deck.

I set my plate and cup down on the table and went back inside the house to grab my camera because I had seen some butterflies fluttering in the morning sun in the rock garden.

My property has a lot of trees; white oak, black oak, pin oak and post oak.  There was a trickle of leaves lilting to the ground in the gentle morning breeze. 

I was skimming the headlines and moved on to the Op-Ed page and began to read a letter written to The World’s Most Dangerous Community Organizer from former ambassador to Obama, Mark Erwin (U.S. Ambassador to Mauritius, Seychelles and Comoros).

He ended his letter this way:  “Our military is an organization of war, not peace. Military leadership is trained to destroy the enemy. Our actions have consequences far beyond the contemplated limited attack.”

I looked up from the page to see another large bird that had landed on the ground.  It was scouring the ground for something.  When it heard the rustle of the paper, it flew up in a branch of the white oak tree just above it.

Trying to be as stealthy as possible, I grabbed the camera and snapped a photograph of a juvenile red-shouldered hawk.  Perhaps the offspring of the hawk spotted two weeks ago.

I was far more poised this time than last.  I was able to zoom in fairly closely and I think I got a good picture to share with you.

I think I’m safe in assuming that the hawk from two weeks ago has, in fact, built a nest in one of my trees or one nearby and that today’s visitor must be its offspring.  That’s my hope and today, once again, I can say life is good and I have been blessed.

Enjoy your Sunday and may you find an unexpected blessing in your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.