Friday, May 10, 2013

We Change The World A Little Each Day With Our Kindness

I have a lot to be thankful for and that thankfulness came full circle when I learned of Amusing Bunni’s passing.  Please let me explain what I mean.

Bunni lived alone.  When she received her fatal diagnosis she found herself in dire financial straits.  I live alone as well.  Knowing that Bunni faced her own mortality alone is heart-wrenching.  I am fortunate in the fact that I have taken care of all of my final expenses.

When I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in March of 2006, I did not want my friends to face dealing with my affairs.  You see my parents are both gone and most of my extended family are also gone.  Knowing that most of my friends are in no position financially to assist in such things, there was a sense of urgency that before my diagnosis did not exist.

I have worked hard to become debt-free.  I’m one year away from retirement.  Bunni was not so fortunate.  Perhaps that is why I have cried and cried and cried since God called her home and her plight brought me to my knees.  It breaks my heart that she had to worry about her mortgage, her health insurance and even food.

On the other hand, Bunni had amazing friends in the blogosphere who sent what they could afford when she made her plea for financial assistance.  She was a proud woman.  She accepted the prayers, well-wishes and gifts of money with extreme grace and unending gratitude.

One of her close friends, Opus #6 posted this on her blog:
I would like to thank you again for the donations you gave to Carol when she was alive and after her death. You literally made the end of her life a time of contentment instead of misery. Without you she would have lost her home and her health insurance. These possibilities weighed on her mind a lot, and the donations enabled her to stave off those events. Comforting the sick and grieving like you did, besides being a wonderful thing to do, has GOT to be worth big points in God's book. I can't imagine it any other way. My heart swells to think of the good, lovely people that I share this world with. God Bless all of you.”
Her words beautifully describe what I wanted to say.  If you didn’t know Bunni you missed a true blessing.  She was one of the bravest people I have ever known.  She touched so many hearts.  Her true nature was to help others, to protect and love them.

There’s an old axiom that says, “What I spent, I had; what I saved, I lost; what I gave, I have.”

There is a dedicated PayPal donation button on the right-hand sidebar.  It has been set up to help defray Bunni’s final expenses.  I hope you will consider giving whatever you can afford even if you didn’t know our dear, sweet Amusing Bunni.

There but for the grace of God, go I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.